29 May 2011

Lithium in Our Water?

Ok, so I was talking to a friend when he mentioned that the US government purposed a plan or something, I'm not sure what, to add more than average lithium to our drinking water... this is starting to sound like Across the Universe (by Beth Revis. good book, by the way) when they added the horomones or something to the water that got the people all sex crazy and subdued.
Lithium isn't like that drug in the book, as far as I know, but it's a form of treatment for bipolar disease and calms people down. (By the way, I like being energetic and some people should not calm down. They're too calm!) They believe it would decrease the amount of suicide rates but what if this is like a gateway drug for the government? They might get it in their minds to try to control us (I read way too much...) or something along those lines. Like what they did in that book! We never know, do we. This is pushing the ethical line. If it keeps getting pushed little by little, will we notice when it's passed? When will it be too far?
Apparently, the government has spiked our drinking water before. They did it with flouride but the outcome was that dental bills dropped. Flouride is good for teeth.
On the good news front, it was voted down. YAY! But it's still kind of scary that it was proposed at all. Hopefully, it'll never happen. It's fun to read about these things in books and watch it in movies, but it's the complete opposite for it to actually happen, because chances are, I won't be that kick-ass, awesome heroine with that sexy Adonis hero. I'll probably be the brainwashed drone who ends up being slaughtered and having my insides harvested.
Someone in some other post stated that people who do not want to drink this Lithium-enhanced water should buy bottled water, but why would I want to add to the growing crisis of wasted plastic and landfills? Why would I waste my money on $1 per bottle when I have a perfectly functioning water filter machine-thingy in my kitchen (which cost a lot, by the way)? What if I was too poor? If you want lithium-enhanced water, I think it'd be better to just bottle that up and sell it (reusable plastic though). Also, lithium has some side effects and it would really suck if I was one of the unlucky ones to get it. Call me selfish, but I still do not want my drinking water spiked, even if mine is always purified cause you never really know.
For more information, because I don't know much about this, here's a quick link or you can always google it.
I don't want to cause alarm or anything. Just rambling and spreading the knowledge. Before you freak out, you may want to double check all my resources >.< I could be dead wrong for all I know. 

___________________________________________________________________

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
by Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
11 January 2011
416 Pages

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awake on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into a brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship—tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.






No comments:

Post a Comment