18 December 2011

Quick Reviews: Young Adult

So I've read a lot of books but have yet to write reviews about them and now it's a little too late to write full ones so I'm just going to list a few with quick reviews. Some of these, I haven't read since 2007 or even earlier, and some I've read just last week.

And my God. I really need to stop reading YAs. They're giving me a headache with all the angst. (You may see me bashing on some (of the angsty variety) in here because of my headache... but then again, below are only YA books that I like(d))
By the way, books are listed in alphabetical order.

_________________________________________________________________________________
 

I think the ending was what won me over. Not the ending, necessarily, but near the ending when Rosalinda, the awkward, kind heroine, had the ultimate revelation. It was so sad and the unfairness of it all had me crying (puppy murder and the like make me sad but dry-eyed (I'm jaded, so sue me) but worldly unfairness has me bawling with frustration).

Anyways, it was an interesting story and enjoyable enough but not very different from most dystopians. 



Although a bit repetitive, it didn't have me wanting to pull my hair out. Samantha really developed as a person and watching her repeat that last day over and over again and the different things she did each time made me feel nostalgic, in a way. Before I Fall was touching and not a story I will soon forget.


I just loved the world Laini Taylor created in this story. Although Karou and her surrogate, demon family were very interesting indeed, I think the world Laini Taylor created was the main attraction. It was our everyday, modern world with a secret teeth-dealing, wish-granting, magical one hidden behind select doors all over the globe.

In my opinion, this first installment was not much of a story, more of an introduction. But unlike most introductions, it just pulled you in from the start and wouldn't let you go till the very end. When I got to the end, I just couldn't believe it passed by so fast! (418 pages, by the way, is not short) But time flies when you're having fun.


Even though it's been a very long time since I've read (err, reread) this cute little fairy tale, I just had to review it. Gail Carson Levine is one of my favorite storytellers and although I feel as if I have outgrown her stories, I will forever remembering enjoying them. And who knows. Maybe I haven't outgrown her stories quite yet.

Ella was such a strong character and I remember really admiring her (and also envying her for her adventures). And the world Levine spun was such an exciting place for the ten-year-old me. I recommend this and any of Levine's other tales to anyone, young or old. (By the way, the movie sucked.)
 


A love story, simply put. Every character was well developed and it was interesting to see where this story led to. Personally, I wasn't rooting for Bryn and William till near the middle but nonetheless, I was touched by their love. There were happy moments, and sad, and just tugged at my heartstrings. It was a bit Romeo and Juliet for my liking, though. (I thought Romeo was a pompous ass, if you were wondering. And yes, I have managed to read the whole play.)


 Is it really wrong to just want to... live? 

Grace and her companion, whom for most of this journey she does not know anything about, ponder this question and ultimately come up with an answer. That no. It is not wrong. 

Grace had been raised as an Angel, or a suicide bomber, in rebellion to the country in which she was born into. For the people who have scorned her for her mixed heritage, she was to give up her life, but unlike many before her who had done the same thing, she chooses not to, and thus, begins her journey. This story takes place during a train ride where Grace tells us about her past and life before she decided to flee her country. At first it was on the confusing side but then, piece by piece, we get the full story and understand why she chose to do why she did.


This story is one of adventure and action but had one of the sweetest relationships in YA, in my opinion. I really felt the attraction, not just physical, between Katsa and Po, and even though they performed in the carnal acts, I still felt like their love was innocent and sweet. I was rooting for them from the very start and am curious over what has happened to them.

But that wasn't the main element of this tale, I think. The adventure and action was exciting and pulled me in. Katsa was a strong female lead but so was Po and I admired them both for their headstrong thinking and general will to live.


Really, really liked this one. Teenage angst and all. Although, it's been about two-to-four years since I've read this but when I did, I really enjoyed it. Wes, day-um. Edward Cullen's got nothing on Wes. But then again, they're nothing alike. Either way, I loved the slow build of romance between Wes and Macy. It was so cute and innocent, as is most of Sarah Dessen's stories. And the rest of the characters were fun and Dessen really brought them alive for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment